Weekly Whimsy

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

~Stanley Horowitz {courtesy of the Quote Garden}



Sunday, September 12, 2010

Where I Am.

Today I'm feeling the need to take a small break...to look at this year...how far I've come...and how far I still need to go.  I feel tired and exhausted for really no reason at all.  Fall time is hastening on and I finally realized that I'm ready for it to come.  Summer has long been my most favorite time of year and this year I dreaded even the thought of Fall...which meant winter was on its way.  But last week something changed for the better.  I found a few Autumn pieces to display in my home and then a few more and a few more.  Until I found myself surrounded by Autumn decor and I was happy. 

And then there was yesterday.  I happened upon the steal of the century with a $20 beautiful record player.  The record player is long gone, but the piece is stunning and I can't wait to paint it all white.

And therefore, today with summer lingering and autumn forthcoming, I feel the need to stop. Sit. And reflect upon this year.  I have learned much.  I have grown much.  But I need to reflect and remember in order to make the best possible use out of the rest of this year.  I have a little less than 4 months.  I want to make them spectacular...like the grand finale to an already grand year.  But how can I do this unless I first stop and ponder upon where this year has taken me and where I still need to traverse.  Perhaps this poem by Robert Frost sums it up best:


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails